Monday 8 August 2011

The Mouse Hunt....

The Tom and Jerry show!That was my favorite cartoon show for a good many years.I still enjoy watching it sometimes...I mean who doesn't love Jerry -the adorable,cute and smart little mouse?We all do.But REAL mice??That too in my house?No way!!Last week,I was shocked to discover that my house was invaded by a mouse!I had seen him scurrying across the living room and the dining hall a few times but before I could make a move,he would just vanish!I was waiting for the right opportunity to put an end to that horrid creature.



Last night was my chance.I saw him scuttle underneath the couch.I closed all the doors, blocking every chance of his escape.My maid and I,each with a broomstick in hand,had him cornered and pulled the couch forward to whack him dead.But to our surprise, he was nowhere in sight.We were confused ..He couldn't have escaped.But wait...What was that hole in the couch?My new,expensive,imported sofa had a hole in it???!!!Ever since we had bought the couch,I had taken good care of it.I vacuumed it regularly,made sure it remained spotless, and I'd kill people with my looks if they ever rested their legs on it but that mouse had found its way 'into' the couch , apparently,by gnawing at the sofa material!'Just wait till I get my hands on you' I muttered as we upturned the heavy couch and started poking the cushion hoping he'd come out.But he refused to budge. I had to get rid of him no matter what.So, I had my maid watch over the trapped mouse while I went out to buy rat poison!I carefully placed it near the hole.He hasn't made an appearance yet but hopefully he'll be dead in a few days(that is,IF he consumes the poison!).But my expensive couch??The damage was done and there is nothing I can do about it now...all because of just one little mischievous mouse!I felt so bad!


The ruined couch!
That incident reminded me of something else...something to do with our daily walk with the Lord.We strive to live worthy of God,to please Him in every way but one small 'mousey' sin can take us down.Just a small gossip,just a tiny unclean thought,just a little lust can tear your life apart if left unattended to.The Bible warns us,'Be self controlled and alert.Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour'. I Peter 5:8.Be watchful! ALWAYS!

"The tempter stalks about me as a lion
Searching for the slightest sense of blood
For when the skin of my resistance is broken
He moves in swiftly to deepen the cut

Lord, I hunger for holiness
And I thirst for the righteousness that's Yours
That my mind would be cleansed and my spirit renewed
And this temple that You dwell in would be pure"

                                                             - Licciardello Carman D


PS:I was also reminded of the time when we did mouse-hunting as a family a few years ago.Our house was infested with mice back then .Mom and I would lure the mice towards Dad and bro -the actual murderers!All the shouting and shrieking used to be so much fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment