Saturday 3 September 2011

The Last enemy!

There's nothing certain in a man's life except this: That he must lose it. ~Aeschylus, Agamemnon

True enough..Death is inevitable and we all know that someday we will surely die,but just that it's not today or tomorrow....maybe when we are 80 or 90 years old..definitely not when we are YOUNG!Nevertheless,fact remains that life's clock never asks you when to stop.Accidents,incurable diseases,and ever increasing crime rates are so rampant in today's world that you never know when your time's up.This week I was quite disturbed when I heard the demise of two young people I knew.One of them was my exceptionally intelligent classmate I had known for three years whom I had always thought would make it big someday.He had decided to end his life.The other was a young medical student who had given up her fight against a dreadful disease.Two deaths in a week..that too of young intellectuals..Sometimes life doesn't make sense and seems so unfair!

Recovering from the tragic and unexpected loss of my own brother,I know the pain and all that goes with the loss of a loved one.But hang on....There's more to death than just grief.As a Christian,I know that all who believe in Jesus Christ enter a life of eternity  with Him -A life devoid of pain,suffering and sorrow.And that we will soon meet our loved ones on the other side.That,indeed,is comforting!

However,there still remains two questions to be answered.As an individual,am I prepared to face death ANYTIME? I don't have to live in fear of death.Death is certain and can be sudden.To a christian,it is just the passing from one life to another-a new one.Two,What am I striving to accomplish in life? My knowledge,my wealth,my ego,my status..none of it is going to come with me when I'm laid to rest...Am I fulfilling the purpose that my Creator has set for me? I have a sincere answer to these questions.Do you?

Always be thou prepared, and so live that death may never find thee unprepared.
  -THOMAS A. KEMPIS, The Imitation of Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment