Thursday 5 September 2024

A Teacher's Lasting Impact!

This Teacher's Day, as I reflect on the profound impact teachers have had on my life, one particular incident from fourth grade remains etched in my memory.

Back then, I had told a friend that I didn't quite like my Math teacher. Unfortunately, that friend reported it, and soon I found myself standing outside the classroom for almost a week (at least three days in succession) as punishment. When I was sent to the Principal's office, she, being a family friend, gently brushed it off with a chocolate and sent me back to class. When my mom found out, she called the teacher to apologize. That single incident made me dread math classes. My enthusiasm for the subject plummeted, and soon, my grades followed.

By the time I reached 10th grade, my confidence in Math was at an all-time low. The half-yearly exams were a stark wake-up call when I scored a dismal 38 out of 80. Despite performing well in all my other subjects, I just couldn't bring myself to like Math. My worried mother turned to the Vice-Principal—a brilliant Math teacher herself and a friend. She decided to take me under her wing.

She didn't just teach me Math; she reignited a spark within me. She handed me a question bank and told me to work on it, encouraging me to come back to her for corrections. Her faith in me was unwavering and within a month, my marks shot up to 75 out of 80 in the revision exam! That newfound confidence propelled me through my public exams and beyond.

It became evident to me that my struggle with Math was never about ability. It was about overcoming the hurt from that one negative experience. As an aspiring doctor, I initially thought I could avoid Math altogether. However, I chose to stick with it. To my astonishment, I effortlessly scored a 94 in my first Math exam in 11th grade! I continued with the subject all through 12th, consistently performing well—thanks to the unwavering encouragement of one incredible teacher.

Teachers have the extraordinary power to either break or make a child. Today, I am deeply grateful for those who chose to build me up, even when I felt like giving up. A heartfelt thank you to Mrs. Helen Sudarshanam, my Math teacher at Ida Scudder School, Vellore. Your support truly made all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Rosy. It's a great lesson for teachers like me on this teacher's day. It taught us many lessons.... do's and don'ts in students' Life. Thanks for sharing your valuable experience.

    ReplyDelete