Friday 28 February 2020

In His steps...


Very recently, when the disheartening news of the loss of a medical missionary couple's daughter came, it broke my heart.I had only heard of them and knew that they were good friends of my cousins, who were missionaries themselves in the Northern part of India. It didn't seem fair. They had given up the prospect of a lucrative career to respond to the medical needs of a disease-ridden tribal group that lacked not only the amenities of civilization but the very necessities of life.They had responded to their calling despite the many, many challenges that came their way.



Yet, amidst the insurmountable loss, their unwavering faith in God had been evident. Having walked the difficult path myself , I know that the pain caused by the loss of a loved one remains for a lifetime. I know that for them everything from now on would be different, it would be new, and life- altering.This loss, while tragic from a human perspective, are a part of a growing roster of men and women who have paid a price for the advance of the gospel.

Even as I write, I am reminded of one of the most well-known stories of missionary martyrdom, Graham Staines who was burnt alive with his two sons. I think of William Carey who had to bury his son in India and manage his wife who never recovered from a nervous breakdown. I think of the Scudders who forwent their luxuries and embarked on a journey to a poverty-stricken land where they had to bury four of their thirteen children.The rest - seven sons and two daughters - came back to India in response to the call of Christ.

I'm reminded of this letter Adoniram Judson to his prospective father-in-law when asking for his daughter’s hand as he prepared for missions in Burma:

“I have now to ask, whether you can consent to part with your daughter early next spring, to see her no more in this world; whether you can consent to her departure, and her subjection to the hardships and sufferings of a missionary life; whether you can consent to her exposure to the dangers of the ocean; to the fatal influence of the southern climate of India; to every kind of want and distress; to degradation, insult, persecution, and perhaps a violent death. Can you consent to all this, for the sake of him who left his heavenly home, and died for her and for you; for the sake of perishing, immortal souls; for the sake of Zion, and the glory of God? Can you consent to all this, in hope of soon meeting your daughter in the world of glory, with the crown of righteousness, brightened with the acclamations of praise which shall redound to her Saviour from heathens saved, through her means, from eternal woe and despair."

While the temptation of worldliness and the lust for earthly power looms large in Christendom, we should remember, whatever form our cross may take, that there are matchless rewards promised to those who remain faithful unto death. God does not promise us freedom from persecutions and trials; but He does assure of his presence, His joy and peace that no man can give or take away.And there's no greater joy and fulfillment than doing what God has called us to.

Over the week, I have been unable to silence the question, " Have I truly denied myself and taken up my cross?".If our definition of being a Christian is simply to enjoy the privileges of worship, be generous at no expense, have a good time surrounded by comfortable things, and at the same time stay immune to the world's great problem of sin because it is too much pain to do something about it-if this is our definition of Christianity, we need to rethink.

Following Jesus doesn’t necessarily mean becoming a missionary or a preacher. Yet, would I choose to love people at any cost, to walk as Jesus did in every area of my life? Does the thought of millions dying each day without even having heard the name of Jesus bother me? If there comes a point in my life when I'm faced with a choice—Jesus or the comforts of this life—what would I choose?What would you choose?

Amidst the drastic growth of nominal Christianity today we need more of the real kind.We need revival of the Christianity of Christ.Have we put to death our own plans and desires and committed ourselves to His will for our lives?Are we ready to take up the cross? Is it possible for the church to sing with exact truth,

Jesus, I my cross have taken,
All to leave and follow thee?

1 comment: